Thursday, April 28, 2016

The List - Nebraska Authors

Nebraska is a small state, population-wise, the majority of it living in the two biggest cities, Omaha and Lincoln. We're proud to be the birthplace and/or home of many famous people (okay, maybe not so proud of some of them). Some of those people we're so proud of are authors. Maybe you know some of these folks?

1. Ron Hansen - author of The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (made into a movie starring Brad Pitt)

2. Roxane Gay - born in Nebraska, Gay is best known as the author of Bad Feminist and An Untamed State

3. Mignon Eberhart - at one time Eberhart was the leading female crime novelist in the U.S. and one of the highest paid female crime novelists in the world.

Willa Cather
4. L. Ron Hubbard (yeah, this is one we're not so proud of) - Hubbard wrote prolifically for pulp fiction magazines, mostly fantasy and science fiction works, before founding the Church of Scientology for which he is best known.

5. Nicholas Sparks - yes, THAT Nicholas Sparks, was born in Omaha and for a time lived in Grand Island, Nebraska, which is not in any way, shape, or form and island.

6. Richard Patrick Dooling - Dooling is the author of White Man's Grave which was a finalist in 1994 for the National Book Award in fiction.

7. Willa Cather - author of O, Pioneers and My Antonia, Cather is a Pulitzer Prize winner.

Timothy Shaffert
8. Alex Kava - best known for her Maggie O'Dell series, Kava has written 15 novels and been a contributor to a number of short story collections.

9. Timothy Schaffert - I've talked about Schaffert a lot on this blog as he is the driving force behind the Omaha Lit Fest and the author of several books, most recently The Swan Gondola.


10. Rainbow Rowell - Rowell started writing in Omaha as a columnist for the paper but gave that up to begin writing novels. As much as I enjoyed her column, I'm mighty glad she gave it up to write Eleanor and Park among others.

2 comments:

  1. Of course, I've heard of Willa Cather, but I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't yet read anything by her. And who hasn't heard of L. Ron Hubbard and Nicholas Sparks (whom I've read and really not enjoyed). And I have read a couple of books by Rainbow Rowell.

    But I was really excited to see Mignon Eberhart in this list. I have read an enjoyed her golden age mysteries. This post reminded that I have a stack of 6 or 8 vintage Eberhart paperbacks that I want to read. I'm going to get a couple in the bedside stack now.

    Nebraska has some big talent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've actually never read any of Eberhart's books. I finally picked one up not too long ago and really need to get to it. It would be great to find a new-to-me author that had been so prolific!

    ReplyDelete