Sunday, April 8, 2012

Sunday Salon - April 8


Happy Easter!

Even though it's cooled off here, it always feels like spring is truly here once Easter arrives. With spring comes a new kind of reading. For Greg Zimmerman of The New Dork Review of Books has put together his choices for the top five novels about baseball over at Book Riot. Those are the novels. Do you have any books about baseball that you would add to a list of the top five non-fiction books about baseball? 

If you're like me, it's also time for spring cleaning. Good Housekeeping has these suggestions for organizing your bookshelves. Of course, while you're at it, you might be tempted to add a couple of organizing books to your shelves to help you get your house in order. Did you know there's an entire book devoted to cleaning with white vinegar? In memory of the late Jan Berenstain, maybe you can even pick up The Berenstain Bears Clean House and enlist the kids to help you this spring.

What kind of things does spring inspire you to do? Does it have an impact on your reading?

11 comments:

  1. Spring inspires me to work outside. Well, it doesn't inspire so much as necessitates!

    Happy Easter - love the picture of the eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good tips for organizing books. And I've heard of the white vinegar cleaning. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spring has destroyed my reading. At least that's my excuse. The weather isn't even all that great, but I just can't focus!

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those eggs are so cool looking! I had planned to do some cleaning today but so far I have put it on the back burner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that picture of those gorgeous eggs--happy Easter to you as well!

    I think Doris Kearns Goodwin's Wait Until Next Year is the best nonfiction baseball book, apart from Bart Giamatti's TakeTimeforParadise.

    I'm always too busyin the garden in the spring to worry about getting organized--I prefer todo that in the fall,whe I'm nesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spring never increases my desire to clean or wash windows, but I love the flowers...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. The baseball books sound interesting - I have The Art of Fielding waiting on my bookshelf and I'm excited about John Grisham's newest that comes out tomorrow.

    The cleaning and organizing - not so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shoeless Joe by W.P. Kinsella. Best baseball novel ever. Moneyball, if non-fiction is included.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, yes, I am way overdue for a good spring cleaning - as in over four years or so. Yikes! I need a dumpster.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Need to check out the article you posted. I am SO close to finishing my shelves (and cleaning around them so I can give you guys pretty pictures) but I still need to get rid of some...and just can't...

    I love the idea of spring cleaning but time gets in the way. I did clean out ONE drawer in my kitchen the other day and felt great afterward. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have every intention of cleaning during Spring Break but alas, I did not! however, I would read the one about cleaning with white vinegar!!

    ReplyDelete