Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Cove by Ron Rash

The Cove by Ron Rash
Published April 2012 by Ecco
Source: my copy courtesy of the publisher and TLC Book Tours

In a dark cove, deep in the Appalachian mountains, Laurel Shelton has lived a lonely life. Born with a birthmark the locals deem to be the mark of a witch, Laurel has spent the years since her parents' deaths mostly alone except for her brother, Hank, with only the hope of something more.

Then a stranger appears in the woods, with only a flute and a note explaining that his name is Walter, he can't talk and he is bound for New York. When Laurel discovers Walter nearly dead from yellow jacket stings, she brings him to the cabin where she convinces Hank to help her save him. As Walter heals and begins to become a part of life on the farm, Laurel begins to imagine a life with Walter.

As much as I would love to keep talking about this book, I will instead caution you not to read too much about this book before you pick it up. Do not, do not, read the publisher's blurb. Because you really should read this book and it really should take you by surprise. Be forewarned, much gushing is about to ensue.

Rash's Serena was one of my favorite books of 2009. The story and the voices from that book have stayed with me for more than two years so I was both eager and anxious to read The Cove. Just as he did with Serena, Rash has created a story with an underlying tension throughout. I knew, I knew, that very bad things were going to happen so I imagined all of the ways Rash might take the book. Not one of them was right; the man is a genius at taking his books in directions the reader will not see coming.

Rash never loses control of his large cast and when their diverse paths begin to come together, it feels natural. His characters are both astounding and utterly ordinary and believable. Rash masterfully addresses small town prejudices, patriotism and propaganda, and hope against all odds. The book has it's flaws, to be sure. Some characters could have been developed more, others less. There is a long detour about a ship that seems unnecessary. All is forgiven, though, because Rash's lyrical prose is just that good.

The Cove is a book I couldn't put down and was sorry to see end. For other opinions about this book, check out the full tour. Ron Rash is the author of the 2009 PEN/Faulkner Finalist and New York Times bestselling novel, Serena, in addition to three other prizewinning novels, One Foot in Eden, Saints at the River, and The World Made Straight; three collections of poems; and four collections of stories, among them Burning Bright, which won the 2010 Frank O'Connor International Short Story Award, and Chemistry and Other Stories, which was a finalist for the 2007 PEN/Faulkner Award. Twice the recipient of the O.Henry Prize, he teaches at Western Carolina University.




13 comments:

  1. This one is on my never ending TBR list. I do love the sound of it and am thrilled to see you enjoyed it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, I am loving the sound of this one, and sadly it is in my huge stacks of "books I want to read".

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a good one. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to see you liked this book so much. I will add it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks good! great review as always!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just got Serena on audio, and had been hoping to find this one as well, but it wasn't available. I might have to go shopping soon, as I have heard some incredible things about this one, and when you recommend something this strongly, I always listen! Terrific review today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Any time a fellow reader gushes like that, I know to put the book on my MUST READ list. I'm not familiar with this author, but now I'm excited to find this book. And I'll do my best not to read the blurb. Hubs NEVER reads blurbs - says it ruins things - but it's the first thing I do. I may have to have him tape something over the cover to stop me. :)

    Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's one great recommendation. I am going to have to check this one out. And I will listen to your warning and not read to much about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recently added this to my to-read list and I love your review! May have to push it towards the top of the list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. gushing has my attention and I love it when I'm warned to NOT read anything about the book! I must get this one from the library!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've not read Serena but it's been on my list for a long time. I've been curious about this one though, so I am so glad you reviewed it. Do you think I should read Serena first or does it not matter? I know they aren't related but sometimes it works better if works are read in a particular order.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the warning about the blurb - sounds like I should just pick this book up and start reading right now!

    Thanks for being on the tour. I'm featuring your review on TLC's Facebook page today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been following this tour and haven't read anything but raves.

    ReplyDelete